By Heather Deegan
In the publish Sep 11 worldwide atmosphere Africa is status at a crossroads in overseas affairs because the mixed problems with politics, faith and defense allure renewed curiosity. whereas a few nations appear to be relocating ahead with higher degrees of self belief, democracy and balance, others remain mired in clash, poverty and religious/ethnic department.
This textual content specializes in key modern matters that the continent faces, offering a accomplished creation of present political, non secular, developmental and protection issues.
- Individual chapters dedicated to key matters together with health and wellbeing, gender, corruption, faith and the newly rising difficulties of human defense.
- Case studies and exact research of topical matters, including:
- Muslim/Christian clashes: Kano, Northern Nigeria
- Conflict, palms and Reconstruction: Darfur and Sierra Leone
- Comprehensive variety of nations discussed together with: Zimbabwe, Botswana, Kenya Ethiopia, Uganda, Lesotho, Somalia, Namibia and Madagascar.
- Fully up to date statistics together with basic learn in keeping with interviews performed by way of the writer, offering facts for either person nations and the continent as a whole.
- Boxed descriptions explaining essentially the guidelines in very important topic parts, corresponding to Islamic legislations and society
By drawing at the author’s empirical learn and situating dialogue in the context of wider debate, Africa at the present time is designed either to introduce and to enhance a deeper knowing of this quickly altering continent a vital textual content for all scholars of African politics and foreign Relations.
Read or Download Africa Today: Culture, Economics, Religion, Security PDF
Similar globalisation books
How will we examine globalisation in a fashion that transcends the material/ideational rift? How has globalisation resonated and/or ruled in numerous nationwide contexts? What position has been performed by means of nationwide political economies and household associations during this approach? *Producing globalisation* makes an attempt to scrutinise the character of the interaction among globalisation and nationwide institutional settings.
This booklet makes use of the idea that of political clash to check the results of globalization on tobacco keep an eye on guidelines. reading a number demanding situations to guidelines enacted through Australia, Canada, the us, the eu Union and Uruguay, the ebook examines how the worldwide buying and selling approach has narrowed the scope of conflicts over tobacco keep an eye on.
This ebook offers the result of a joint assembly equipped by means of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences and the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences the place well known foreign students mentioned the significance of schooling in an more and more globalized global. The papers hide a variety of issues, together with immigration, schooling in constructing nations, wisdom move, social, financial, cultural, and political stipulations in worldwide schooling, know-how, communique, entry to details and information, in addition to, bio-anthropological concerns.
During this provocative ebook, popular public highbrow Ivan Krastev displays at the way forward for the ecu Union—and its strength loss of a destiny. With far-right nationalist events at the upward push around the continent and the uk making plans for Brexit, the ecu Union is in disarray and affected by doubts as by no means earlier than.
- Japan's Strategic Challenges in a Changing Regional Environment
- Global Tobacco Control: Power, Policy, Governance and Transfer
- Globalization and Democracy in Southeast Asia: Challenges, Responses and Alternative Futures (Frontiers of Globalization)
- Foreign Firms, Investment, and Environmental Regulation in the People's Republic of China
Extra info for Africa Today: Culture, Economics, Religion, Security
Africa Today: Culture, Economics, Religion, Security by Heather Deegan