By Miriam Griffin
- Explores Caesar from a number of views: army genius, ruthless tyrant, great flesh presser, first-class orator, refined guy of letters, and more
- Utilizes Caesar’s personal extant writings
- Examines the viewpoints of Caesar’s contemporaries and explores Caesar’s portrayals by means of artists and writers during the ages
Read Online or Download A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
While Justinian first assumed the identify of Roman Emperor in 527 CE, his inherited empire—now established in Constantinople— had misplaced just about all of its reference to the everlasting urban itself, and used to be threatened from inside of via profound theological splits, and from with out by way of some of the barbarian kingdoms that surrounded it.
Alexander the nice, arguably the main intriguing determine from antiquity, waged battle as a Homeric hero and lived as one, conquering local peoples and territories on a superhuman scale. From the time he invaded Asia in 334 to his loss of life in 323, he improved the Macedonian empire from Greece within the west to Asia Minor, the Levant, Egypt, important Asia and "India" (Pakistan and Kashmir) within the east.
Observe historic rituals and plant lore that shaped the rules for drugs, botany, and sleek agriculture. for hundreds of years, peasants leaped over bonfires with accompaniment of tune, ale and courtship, in spring, mid-summer and fall, all to strive against smut, rust, darnel, and rinderpest. in the course of those instances, rituals for cover of plants and farm animals have been the first foundation of social lifestyles and team spirit, and those rituals contributed to a full of life plant lore that later transmuted into the principles of drugs, botany, and sleek agriculture.
The traditional Egyptians awarded themselves as more suitable to all people on the planet; on temple partitions, the pharaoh is proven smiting overseas enemies – humans from Nubia, Libya and the Levant – or crushing them underneath his chariot. formally, foreigners represented disease and chaos – the other of Egypt’s ideal land of justice and order.
- Maritime Traders in the Ancient Greek World
- Eumenes II. Selbstdarstellung und Herrschaftslegitimation eines Aufsteigers gegenüber den Mächten seiner Zeit (German Edition)
- Sklaverei bei Augustinus (German Edition)
- Die Rolle des Demosthenes in der athenischen Bündnispolitik zwischen 346 – 338 v. Chr. (German Edition)
- Theogony / Works and Days
- Der Tod Theodosius’ I. und die Leichenpredigt des Ambrosius von Mailand (German Edition)
Additional info for A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Miriam Griffin