By Honora Howell Chapman,Zuleika Rodgers
- Represents the 1st single-volume selection of readings to target Josephus
- Covers quite a lot of disciplinary techniques to the topic, together with reception history
- Features contributions from 29 eminent students within the box from 4 continents
- Reveals vital insights into the Jewish and Roman worlds in the mean time while Christianity was once gaining floor as a movement
Named Outstanding educational name of 2016 by Choice Magazine, a e-book of the yank Library Association
Read Online or Download A Companion to Josephus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
Whilst Justinian first assumed the identify of Roman Emperor in 527 CE, his inherited empire—now dependent in Constantinople— had misplaced just about all of its reference to the everlasting urban itself, and was once threatened from inside through profound theological splits, and from with no through a number of the barbarian kingdoms that surrounded it.
Alexander the nice, arguably the main intriguing determine from antiquity, waged struggle as a Homeric hero and lived as one, conquering local peoples and territories on a superhuman scale. From the time he invaded Asia in 334 to his demise in 323, he increased the Macedonian empire from Greece within the west to Asia Minor, the Levant, Egypt, imperative Asia and "India" (Pakistan and Kashmir) within the east.
Notice old rituals and plant lore that shaped the principles for drugs, botany, and smooth agriculture. for hundreds of years, peasants leaped over bonfires with accompaniment of tune, ale and courtship, in spring, mid-summer and fall, all to strive against smut, rust, darnel, and rinderpest. in the course of those occasions, rituals for defense of plants and cattle have been the first foundation of social existence and unity, and those rituals contributed to a energetic plant lore that later transmuted into the principles of drugs, botany, and sleek agriculture.
The traditional Egyptians awarded themselves as more desirable to all other folks on the earth; on temple partitions, the pharaoh is proven smiting international enemies – humans from Nubia, Libya and the Levant – or crushing them underneath his chariot. formally, foreigners represented affliction and chaos – the other of Egypt’s excellent land of justice and order.
- George Akropolites: The History (Oxford Studies in Byzantium)
- The Religious Context of Early Christianity: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religions: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religious (Studies of the New Testament and Its World)
- Geschichte der Alten Welt (German Edition)
- Venatio und Naumachien (German Edition)
- Der Nahrungsmittelkonsum römischer Kastelle im 1. und 2. Jahrhundert und seine Folgen für die Wirtschaft: Das Kastell Vindolanda am Hadrianswall (German Edition)
- Prison, Punishment and Penance in Late Antiquity
Extra info for A Companion to Josephus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Josephus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Honora Howell Chapman,Zuleika Rodgers